Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer Reading List


Novel Novice loves the reading! Yes, we are mega excited about the upcoming Twilight movie (trust me, I saw Titanic seven times in the theater when I was 14...I am excited about the movie), but we are more concerned with encourgaging reading. This summer we plan to read three books and discuss them on this site. All three of these books will relate to Twilight in some way. Our first book is Speak written by Laurie Halse Anderson. My rising eight graders have to read it over the summer. I picked it up and throughly enjoyed the first half. Its a short book but fits in well with the themes discussed in Twilight: What does it mean to be a teenage girl in modern society? How does one claim a sense of identity when teenage culture demands that everyone is the same? Also, Twilight's Kristen Stewart protrayed the main character in a television movie based on the book. So here is the deal: If you want to read this novel along with us, go pick it up.  Every sunday we will post discussion questions concerning the novel. The novel should be read in its entirety by Sunday, July 13th. For more information watch the trailer for the television movie below.  If you want to join our reading group, please leave a comment in the comment section letting us know you want to be apart of our reading adventure. 



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually read that book last year! I thought it was a good book, but not as good as Twilight! Parts of Melinda remind me of parts of Bella in her "zombie state" in New Moon.

LupsandTnks said...

Oooo.. I've seen the book,but have never read it. BUT.. I think I'm going to ask for it for my birthday. If we don't start talking about it until the 13th, and I get it on the 11th(my birthday) than I'll have it read in time to join in!

Kacy~Totally loves Twilight~ said...

I would enjoy being in your reading group, i will pick up the book as soon as i can! I cant wait!!

Anonymous said...

yeah- i would love to be a part of the reading group...i LOVE to read!

Claire said...

I absolutely love Speak. I read it this year on a whim after seeing the movie, which I also loved. I think Kristin Stewart does an amazing job in the movie.